||сделать стартовой||добавить в избранное|
A bridge to understanding
La guage displays а cul ure. Whe you s udy a o her la guage, you gai he u ders a di g of la guage, o o ly he o e bei g lear ed, bu also of your ow . Foreig la guage s udy bri gs home he impac , he se si ivi y, a d he limi a io s of our a ive la guage. I eaches volumes abou he cul ure ha uses he la guage bei g s udied. Developi g a u ders a di g of а simple phrase i a o her la guage ca explode he imagi a io . o mere ra sla io will be able о co vey he rue mea i g of he phrase you u ders a d i i s origi al expressio . I exami i g he Eskimo la guage, you'll fi d jus o e word for а mo orized vehicle, mea i g bo h a au omobile a d а mo orcycle. You ca o dis i guish be wee he wo differe machi es by vocabulary, because his orically he Eskimo cul ure was seldom co fro ed wi h mo orized vehicles. O he o her ha d, hese people, who live i wha o hers see as a almos mo ochroma ic world of icе, have а mul i ude of words for s ow. We s ow, big s owflakes, dry dus y s ow, i ermi e spi i g s ow, s ow ha falls so fas here is o visibili y — all have a erm. America s are some imes referred о as bei g cul urally isola ed, bu , like ma y bla ke s a eme s, his simply is o accura e. he U i ed S a es is made up of ci ize s from cou less a io s, ma y of whom co i ue о speak heir a ive la guage i he home a d wi h frie ds. here are eve commu i ies of a ive speakers, so you migh fi d а large clus er of Korea s i Los A geles a d a equally de se popula io of Cambodia s i Lowell, Massachuse s. America s are, i fac , а polyglo a io . America so-called E glish la guage is also i erwove wi h o -E glish words. Du garees is a I dia word; ki dergar e is а Germa word. A grea umber of Fre ch words is also used: croissa , espri de corps, ma re d'ho el, hors d oeuvres, cha eaubria d. However, i is rue ha America s do o have а good repu a io for lear i g foreig la guages. his is largely due o he cou ry’s physical isola io . Europia a d Asia cou ries, which are i close proximi y о o her cou ries, are mul i-li guis ic. Add о ha he growi g domi a ce of E glish i i er a io al busi ess, a d some America s ca jus ifiably feel less urge cy abou lear i g а foreig la guage. o ma er where a America goes, he hi ks ha somebody who ca speak some E glish will always be righ arou d he cor er.
And third there was Freud's discovery of the "unconscious" - the idea that even though we claim to be in charge of our destinies, most of our behaviour is governed by a cauldron of motives and emotions which we are barely conscious of. Your conscious life, in short, is nothing but an elaborate post-hoc rationalisation of things you really do for other reasons. But now we are poised for the greatest revolution of all - understanding the human brain. This will surely be a turning point in the history of the human species for, unlike those earlier revolutions in science, this one is not about the outside world, not about cosmology or biology or physics, but about ourselves, about the very organ that made those earlier revolutions possible. And I want to emphasize that these insights into the human brain will have a profound impact not just on us scientists but also on the humanities, and indeed they may even help us bridge what CP Snow called the two cultures - science on the one hand and arts, philosophy and humanities on the other
1. Two approches to the scientific management
2. How to negotiate effectively
3. Глагол "to have" со значением "иметь"
4. Сравнительный анализ функциональных и семантических характеристик глагола to make в разговорном, газетно-публицистическом и научном стилях
5. How to write exam essay
9. I MUST TO DO MY DUTY
10. How to use dictionary
11. Earth Impacts as a Threat to Civilization
12. Какая технология CTP (COMPUTER-TO-PLATE) окажется в выигрыше: с фиолетовым лазером или термо?
13. Are young people today slaves to fashion?
14. I want to be a teacher
15. Students Should Be Given More Choice As To What They Study
16. I Go to School
17. My attitude to sport
18. The economy of KOREA - Looking Ahead to the 21st Century
19. Drug abuse: Tendencies and ways to overcome it
20. Visit to a doctor
21. A Traveller’s Guide to Moscow
25. Глагол "to have" со значением "иметь" /english/
26. Перевод реферата "Acquaintance with geometry as one of the main goals of teaching mathematics to preschool children"
27. Acquaintance with geometry as one of the main goals of teaching mathematics to preschool children
28. How to make your child gifted?
29. Research methods to collect primary empirical information
30. Understanding cultural differences
31. Understanding the text
32. Ukraine. The long road to independence